Our Maths Vision
At Offmore Primary School, we believe that every child can become a competent mathematician and every member of staff will provide the means to reach this status. We deliver a Maths curriculum which inspires and motivates children to love Maths and enable them to fulfil their personal ambitions and career goals in an ever-changing world, where they can contribute positively to society in their future.
As teaching and support staff, we reach this goal by:
- providing stimulating and purposeful learning opportunities
- giving a real-life context to the skills and knowledge being taught, through our topics
- being enthusiastic and demonstrating our love of maths
- taking risks, making mistakes and learning from them
- using and expecting the correct use of mathematical vocabulary
- providing a balance of concrete, pictorial and abstract teaching resources and strategies across all concepts
- facilitating collaborative learning where children can explore, challenge and justify their understanding
- using rigorous, formative assessment to support and challenge the children effectively.
To achieve this, the children will:
- relish their mistakes and use them as a learning point
- actively engage in the learning journey by questioning, challenging and exploring new concepts
- seek and understand links between their own experiences, the real world and the learning journey in school
- be ambitious about what they can achieve by challenging themselves and each other courteously
- work collaboratively and share their understanding using the correct mathematical vocabulary
- use concrete, pictorial and abstract representations to explain their understanding across mathematical concepts
- practise and take pride in their mental arithmetic knowledge and in its application to the wider curriculum
- have fun and love maths.
Maths skill progression at Offmore
Each year group has an expectation that they will know the following Key Instant Recall Facts by the end of each half term.
You could help your child by practising these with them.
Power Maths is a mastery approach to Maths which compliments our vision for growth mindset and nurtures the love of Maths using carefully selected questions which progress in expectation. This includes the use of concrete, pictorial and abstract tasks to establish, embed and secure new concepts from year 1 to year 6.
The programme promotes mistake-making and reasoning through tasks and the introduction of Power Maths Pals, who each possess different qualities needed to tackle problems effectively.
These Power Maths Pals grow up alongside the children to make them relatable throughout school life.
Meet the Power Maths Pals
Ash - KS1 Flo - KS1 Astrid - KS1 Dexter - KS1
Ash - LKS2 Flo - LKS2 Astrid - LKS2 Dexter - LKS2
Ash - UKS2 Flo - UKS2 Astrid - UKS2 Dexter - UKS2
Every week, the highest earning children from each class will receive a certificate in their phase assemblies. We will also celebrate the highest earner across the whole school, as well as the person with the fastest speed. Each phase also have their own tournaments every week to see which class can achieve the best score.
For your child to be able to log in to Times Tables Rock Stars, please follow the link below and type in the given username and password.
If you are struggling to log on, please contact your child's teacher to receive login details.
Your child will be able to practise their times tables on their own in readiness to take part in competitions against their friends and as part of a band in the Battle of the Bands competitions!
Maths Week England
From 9-14th November 2020, the children took part in Maths Week England. They had lots of fun accessing Maths in a range of different contexts and environments.
Every Thursday, some children from attend Maths Club. We have been integrating Maths with Art in these sessions to create optical illusions, mosaics, mazes and Celtic symbols, as well as solving problems which involve a much deeper level of understanding.